Posted: January 10th, 2012 | Author: Sarah | Filed under: life | Tags: 2011, 2012, new years | 1 Comment »
Happy 2012! Yeah, I’m a bit late with this post, but I couldn’t resist adding a 2011 recap/appreciation rundown, because it was truly a phenomenal year for me. So many big changes, amazing trips, happy feelings, and so on. So here goes.
In 2011, I/we
- began the year by doing handstands
- got laid off from Myspace and began a happier new chapter of life
- visited friends in Italy, saw Naples, Rome and the Amalfi Coast
- went snowboarding in Big Bear (Julian’s first time!)
- bought road bikes!
- gave up sweets for Lent (SO hard)
- celebrated our first anniversary in Kauai, Hawaii
- Julian interviewed James Cameron!
- started running, met my goal, and ran my first 5k
- decided to go back to school to become a veterinary technician (& got straight As my first semester!)
- went to Chicago to have fun in the city & visit family nearby
- said goodbye to Noah, my family’s loving yellow Lab
- celebrated 4th of July with the beach & Hall & Oates
- moved to the valley and into our first REAL house, spent a week with my little brother & sister, and welcomed Frank to our family! (all in one week – crazy!)
- celebrated my 29th birthday at the Gentle Barn
- had the most wonderful Thanksgiving with J’s family back in Nashville
- said goodbye to Julian’s Great Grandma Dorty, one of the most unique and inspiring women I’ve ever met.
- welcomed visits from many friends and family
- spent an incredible week in NYC and VA over Christmas
- hosted our first party here at the house on New Year’s Eve
In 2012, I hope to:
- visit my Grandparents in Scotland this summer
- make the most of our trip to Mexico (later this month!)
- be the best Maid of Honor ever for my little sister Ana
- grow my hair long
- keep running
- eat breakfast everyday
- start volunteering at a veterinary hospital
- finally hang some art on the walls of our house
- be a more patient, appreciative, and proactive friend, sister, daughter, and wife
Sometimes, it’s really nice having a blog where you can look back on all the fun experiences you’ve had. It really makes me want to start writing more!
Here’s to another year!
Posted: January 9th, 2012 | Author: Sarah | Filed under: running | Tags: running | 2 Comments »
Today I laced up & went running for the first time since before Thanksgiving. I’m not sure exactly why I went on a two month hiatus, but I think it had to do with the intense amount of training I was attempting (I jumped into a 10k training program after my 5k), not to mention the stress of finals, holiday traveling, and of course, cooler temps. I mean, the temperature isn’t too bad around here of course, but the earlier sunset meant my evening running routine didn’t work as well.
Now that the holidays are over & we’ve had extraordinarily mild weather, I knew I needed to hit the pavement. But I kept putting it off. And putting it off. Then last night I had the worst time trying to fall asleep, and I knew it was time. Sleep should not be hard to come by if you are healthy! The straw that broke the camel’s back though was this morning when I was moping around the kitchen, head in my hands, having a little self-pity party, feeling super depressed for no reason at ALL. Moody as I may be, I’m smart enough to recognize annoying behavior in myself and I knew right away that today was the day I needed to get back out there! My moods are always so much better when I’m exercising regularly.
My run went well, but my break added a few minutes to my 5k time. It’s amazing how quickly you can lose all that training! I feel great though, and only felt like I might throw up once. Excellent!
Now I don’t feel quite so guilty about devouring that super-size vegetarian lasagna.
Posted: January 3rd, 2012 | Author: Sarah | Filed under: school | Tags: school, vet tech | 9 Comments »
Just got my last grade (FINALLY!) and…. drumroll please… I did it! I got all As this semester! I don’t think I’ve EVER had a 4.0 in any semester of school, maybe ever. It feels great! I can’t stop staring at my grades and smiling. All that studying paid off. I am one proud lady!
Photo: Elizabeth Messina